Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Biometric Photos

A couple of weeks ago I had an appointment with the Foreign Resident's Office in Dresden, to obtain a residence permit required to stay here longer than three months. I had to bring several documents with me. The requirement that gave me the most grief was a biometric photo. I didn't bring any passport photos from the States with me, but those wouldn't have been the right size anyway. Plus our German fellow-student advisor ("tutor") told me that I wasn't allowed to smile in the photo. My face had to be "neutral." There are photo booth-type machines that take biometric photos around Dresden, but they aren't cheap - four photos cost 5 euros. I spoke to my young American suitemate about them, and he advised against using them, because not only could you not smile in the photos, you had to hold your head perfectly straight. He and his fellow students had all gone to a professional photographer, who had to retake each photo multiple times because no one held their head just right. Unfortunately, my suitemate could not remember the exact address of the studio, and his R.A. was gone on vacation. I tracked her down once she got back and got the address from her, but short on time before my appointment, I decided to try one of the machines.

One of the photo booths in Dresden Hbf
I used the photo booth in the basement of Dresden's main train station. On the outside of the booth - on the outside of all the biometric photo booths - there is a photo of a beautiful woman who looks just great in her photo. I wish they had a photo of a normal person on them instead, because then you wouldn't be as disappointed with the results! I went into the booth and inserted my 5 euros. A voice came on with instructions and the screen showed samples of what your photo should not look like. It was all in German, of course. Some of my classmates were outside, trying not to make me laugh. I had to stick my head out of the curtain and shoo them away. Eventually the instructions ended and it was time to take the photo. An outline of a face and eyes appeared, with a camera showing my face. Because I am not tall I had to squat with my rear raised an inch or so above the seat to get my face in the right position. I then pressed a button, and tried not to blink or smile. I waited, and waited, my eyes straining and thighs burning. Finally a voice said something like, "Ready, set, go!" and there was a shutter closing sound. The screen went black, and some seconds later my photo was displayed.

On the screen was probably the worst photo I've ever taken. My head was most definitely not straight, and I had "goo-goo" eyes, a look my mother perfected in all the passport photos of her I've seen from when she was my age. She was scared to blink too, I think. Thank God, it turned out I could retake the photo. I retook the photo about five times before I realized I wouldn't get good results as long as I was squatting. I tried sitting on my backpack instead and that helped significantly. The final result? Not great, but acceptable. "Um, it's ok," one of my more honest classmates concluded while shrugging, after scrutinizing it for some seconds.

The man who processed my residence permit looked a little skeptical when I first handed my photo to him, but he accepted it, so apparently it was good enough!

Update: In case anyone ends up here looking for a place to take biometric photos in Dresden, there are at least two machines in Hauptbahnhof and one on the first floor of the Foreigner's Office. The machines cost 5 euros for 4 photos. If you are short and decide to use one of the machines I suggest you bring a book to sit on. There is also a photo studio in the basement of the Altmarkt-Galerie, across from Rewe, where someone will take your photo for about 12 euros. There is also a photo studio near Wasaplatz called Foto-Atelier Diebel. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment